06-20-2007 08:04 AM #1
Toxic Algae Found In Lakes Linked To Dog's Death
A dog's death in Montrose, Minn. has officials at the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency pointing to potentially toxic blue-green algae.
Jim Cebulla's 16-month-old yellow Labrador died two days after drinking water from a lake with algae in it.
"He just took two mouthfuls (of algae). I see him go gulp, gulp, and I didn't think anything of it," said Cebulla.
Cooper, the yellow lab, died after the toxic algae attacked his kidneys and liver. The lab went swimming in Fountain Lake, a lake Cebulla said was coated with blue-green algae.
"We had a think green scum, it was at least an inch think in places, the ducks could walk on it," he said.
According to the MPCA, the recent hot and dry weather is causing the formation of this type of algae in some Minnesota lakes. The algae blooms can look like pea soup, spilled green paint or floating mats of scum. The algae can also smell very bad.
"Normally this becomes a concern later in the season. But the fact we're seeing toxic blue-green algae in early summer in not that unusual, and show how unpredictable is can be," said MPCA lakes expert Steve Heiskary in a statement.
The MPCA said harmful effects of the blue-green algae blooms are not usually reported because the unpleasant appearance and odor keeps people out of the water. However, dogs and livestock sometimes venture in, ingesting the water which can be toxic.
"As long as somebody learns from this, maybe we can save another dog or two, then it's worth it," said Cebulla.Mike Debner
06-20-2007 08:06 AM #2
Thats a bummer to loose a dog like that....That algae is some nasty stuff.Stupid people are like slinky's both are pretty useless, but make ya smile when push them down the stairs
06-20-2007 08:26 AM #3
This lake is right next to the Montrose Marsh.....a war zone in the fall for duck hunting....
Waterfowl hunters might have to keep a close eye on this one...I would hate to see a bunch of good hunting dogs die because people didn't know about it ahead of time.Mike Debner
06-20-2007 08:35 AM #4
Wow! I wonder if this may happen to any other dogs.... i hope not! What can they do to rid the lakes of this stuff?Check out my photos at:
06-20-2007 08:59 AM #5
It happens just about every year. I know Pokegama and Fish Lake up by me both have annual pet warnings on them.I was wondering why the frisbee kept getting bigger. Then all of a sudden it hit me
06-20-2007 09:41 AM #6
I never heard that about Pokie or Fish before Haywood, thanks for the info. When I head up this summer I'll make sure to bring water for the dog."Earth is the insane asylum for the universe"
06-20-2007 07:28 PM #7
Wow, that's a shame. But, That's great info to have Mike thanks for sharing with everyone!"Its amazing what can be accomplished when it doesn't matter who gets the credit"
06-20-2007 09:57 PM #8