+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Cubby Panfish Lures

I was finally able to find out some more info on the Mini-Mite lures that produced a lot of panfish for us last week. Many of you may be aware of these lures but I just started using them so I figured I would share my info so far. I usually don't target sunnies and crappies but I have gotten into it a bit this winter and spring.....mostly due to some good pointers from guys here on the site. I have never had good luck with anything but live bait until I picked up a few of the Mini-Mite jigs at a local bait shop. Cubby lures make them and you can read more about them at www.cubbylures.com. The lures are sold at a variety of sporting good and bait shops. They can also be purchased online at http://www.panfishpro.com.

I used the larger sized lures up on LOTW last ice season and had some luck when nothing else was producing. Tex and I tied these lures on and FINALLY caught some eyes after watching everyone else around up catch fish all day. I know Tex made a comment later on that they produced very well for him on antoher trip.

I will definitely be giving them a try for crappies and eyes through the ice next year. Hopefully I will be able to get out tonight and try them out some more.

MagicStik

My Fishing Videos

"Suckers....ya gotta love em" Nova

Thanks
    they certainly look interesting.... my daughter likes to fish for sunnies and perch. i may have to pick up some of these.
    Check out my photos at:
    http://www.pbase.com/andrewnyhus

Thanks
    Ah mini-mite. I've used these things on Bemidji with a little panfish leech and killed the monster sunnies. I keep one tied to my kids Scooby rod all summer.

Thanks
    I have dozens of them in my panfish box of all colors and wouldn't go panfishing without them the last few years. Usually work by themselves but a waxie, leech chunk, or some kind of power-nibblet doesn't hurt either.

The ONLY down side is that they don't come with one extra plastic body, and the hooks are aweful wimpy. When you catch a bass or walleye on them they often straighten it right out.
    Pete
    [email]alagnak@anglerinsider.com[/email]

Fishing Guide at [B][U]Alagnaklodge.com[/U][/B] located in Bristol Bay Alaska
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Yea, I was looking for replacement tails too. I think they sell them on the site I posted above. The guy at the bait shop asked me what I tipped them with and I told him nothing. I imagine a little live bait would help but none was needed the other night. The guy said they are scented also so I imagine that helps a lot. I had the larger portion of the tail bitten off and they were still hitting the bait on every cast. They are so effortless to use too. I just cast them out and let them drop for 4-5 seconds. If no bite just reel in a bit and let it drop again. We also trolled them while moving from spot to spot and that worked well also.

MagicStik
    My Fishing Videos

Thanks
    I usually just let them sit (or twitch) under a small pencil bobber since they are so light and sometimes hard to cast. They are deadly though- no doubt!
    Pete
    [email]alagnak@anglerinsider.com[/email]

Fishing Guide at [B][U]Alagnaklodge.com[/U][/B] located in Bristol Bay Alaska
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    I've never heard of them, I'll have to give them a try.. they look interesting..
    Dan Wood
    AnglerInsider.com
    MidWest Fishing Forums
    Dan@AnglerInsider.com

Thanks
    I have had good luck with these in the winter for crappies when other stuff didn't bite. Magic they sell them at the bait store in Moose Lake or at least they used to. That is where I got mine.
    Keith Anderson

Thanks
    Yup that is where I picked mine up at too....the BP gas station/bait store in Moose Lake.

MagicStik
    My Fishing Videos

Thanks
    They are great for spring sight fishing. If a small fish takes it, don't set the hook and it will spit it.
    I was wondering why the frisbee kept getting bigger. Then all of a sudden it hit me

Thanks
    I use these most of the time. I don't recall having a problem with the hooks bending on walleye or bass. Better quality hooks come with these. I haven't seen extra grubs sold in stores for these either.

http://www.culprit.com/html/paddle_tail_grub.html

Thanks
    I have used these with a split shot placed 20'' above the jig when it is windy, or when you need to make a longer cast.

Also, I have seen imitation replacements for this jig. Gander has a cupple versions, or at least they did in the past.

Thanks
    Magic
    You let the cat out of the bag now, that was the SECRET weapon on LOW.
    I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a Country Boy Can Survive.

FishinFreaks Custom Rods Field Staff
    [URL="fishinfreaks.com"]fishinfreaks.com[/URL]
    [email]Tex@anglerinsider.com[/email]

Thanks
    Hog eyes

I have used those and a few other Culprit lures and some southern pro lures .. They are deadly on panfish.. I target panfish at least 50% of the time I am on the water and those are very effective lures, Use the heads from cabelas on there the collar-less ones they have worked great for me and I have never straightened a hook with those

Thanks
    On the topic of extra tails......I was at Northwest Outlet in Superior today and they had packs of 3 or so with several extra tails. First time I have seen them sold with the extra tails.

MagicStik
    My Fishing Videos

Thanks
    i have youse those befor they work ausome for crappies

Thanks

Mighty Mites

I bought a similar bait but were packaged in small plastic tubes. I forgot all about them. Thanks for the reminder. For the fellow that spends 50% of his time on panfish. Have you tried 1/64 oz. hair jigs. Not maribu or feather. I tried them 3 times this year. They do well on crappies, bluegill, and even caught 2 nice white bass on them. I had 2 lb test on with a split shot. I took it off because I didn't want to loose it. It has been a while since I have seen hair jigs. If someone knows where there is a source please let me know. The ones I bought I ordered from an ad on a fishing sight but the biggest he makes is 1/64. I used self made hair jigs years ago but they were I think 1/8 oz. for crappie an white bass. Drew s/w WI.

Thanks
    I just pick up some from cabelas, that came with a pack of extra plastics for 4.95
    They are called PegLeg glow jigs.
    Last edited by Juan Arellano; 05-19-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    The mini-mites are great early season baits. After the first part of the season they will work as well as any other small jig, but they have their place early on. Nice part about these is you don't need meat with these. The thing that makes these so deadly is the low profile of them. Most plastics are thicker and aren't the best this time of year.
    Preserve wildlife... pickle a squirrel!

Thanks
    if the fish are realy finicy a fuzzy grub tipt with a waxe works awsome arownd trees,lily pads and cattail prfrible the smallist you need