+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

Big Buddy Heater Problems

Just got my BIg Buddy heater from a guy who said he used it only a couple times and it was in MINT condition. however with either the small tanks or using the 20lb with hose after about 10 min of running even on high it fluters and goes out. Keeps happening. Anyone have this issue?
    t.marquardt@yahoo.com

763-528-3179

Previously knows as Honda4life on the other fishing forums...

Thanks
    Thats eactly what had happened to Jasons this past week. He brought it in the house and dried it out and it seemed to work fine. He wasnt happy since it went out when the temps were below zero.

Thanks
    Oh crap, your telling me there is a problem with these. I better pick up a backup sunflower just in case.
    Preserve wildlife... pickle a squirrel!

Thanks
    I have never had an issue with mine an its a couple years old. It has blown out but started right up.

Thanks
    I have the little buddy (3 years old) and the only issue I have ever had was it blowing out. They seem to blow out easy but, other than that it has been a great heater.
    johnboy@anglerinsider.com

2008 MFL champion

Thanks
    I have both sizes and they both work great!
    Hopefully you can just thaw it out!

Thanks
    Are you using a filter on it?? If so, maybe your filter needs changing. If you use an external tank with a regulator you don't need a filter.
    Olson Insurance Agency
    [email]ole1855@yahoo.com[/email]
    952-224-4774

Thanks
    Filter? I wasnt aware there is a filer for it...... where is it and how do I check?
    t.marquardt@yahoo.com

763-528-3179

Previously knows as Honda4life on the other fishing forums...

Thanks
    If you have a filter, it would be screwed in where you put the 2# tanks. I have a "Quick connect" hose for my external tank.
    Olson Insurance Agency
    952-224-4774

Thanks
    how cold was your propane tank? I have had plenty of times where a cold propane tank didn't have enough pressure to run a Mr Heater for very long, even when it was full.
    I was wondering why the frisbee kept getting bigger. Then all of a sudden it hit me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pig_sticka View Post
    Oh crap, your telling me there is a problem with these. I better pick up a backup sunflower just in case.

On 3 different occasions I have gone fishing and had my buddies use there "Buddie's Heaters", I was glad all 3 times that I brought my Sunflower, so were they. I have yet to be impressed with any of the buddy line heaters. Between all of there built in safety features and every other thing that can go wrong it seems to be only a matter of time before you are left in the cold.
    "Group mentality is a trap" ~ Me

"While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." ~ Mark Twain

Thanks
    Sunflowers are great heaters but IMHO....Too much heat. I love both my Buddy and Big Buddy heaters. I put one of them in the tub behind and in between the seats and we stay plenty warm. Also, the area where your feet are doesn't turn into a skating rink and I don't waste any space in my fishing area with my heater.
    Olson Insurance Agency
    952-224-4774

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ole1855 View Post
    Sunflowers are great heaters but IMHO....Too much heat. I love both my Buddy and Big Buddy heaters. I put one of them in the tub behind and in between the seats and we stay plenty warm. Also, the area where your feet are doesn't turn into a skating rink and I don't waste any space in my fishing area with my heater.
    Try warming up some ribs on that buddy heater! That's the main reason I stick with my heater/cooker. They actually put out a managable heat with a 1# tank, otherwise you can turn them down with the valve on the tank.
    Last edited by Haywood; 12-16-2009 at 08:08 AM.
    I was wondering why the frisbee kept getting bigger. Then all of a sudden it hit me

Thanks
    That's what the grill outside is for!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    Try warming up some ribs on that buddy heater! That's the main reason I stick with my heater/cooker.
    Olson Insurance Agency
    952-224-4774

Thanks
    Never used one, but I see they have a oxygen sensor, and probably some sort of thermocouple, could be either I suppose, low pressure would do it, but a blocked filter would cause problems right from the start, or in only a minute or two..I think

Maybe dust on a sensor??

Dump it for a sunflower, less trouble

Al

Thanks
    If only he could find his way on the internet he'd have a few choice words

From what I've seen the big buddy's have been fairly reliable. The little buddy's not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Bainville View Post
    Thats eactly what had happened to Jasons this past week. He brought it in the house and dried it out and it seemed to work fine. He wasnt happy since it went out when the temps were below zero.