Thanks

Brainerd Jaycee's Ice Fishing Contest

Brainerd Jaycees $150,000 Ice Fishing Extravaganza
    Saturday, January 26th, 2008
    12:00–3:00 p.m.
    Gull Lake (north of Brainerd)

News Release: January 17, 2007

World's Largest Ice Fishing Event to be held on January 26, 2008

Brainerd, MN - The 18th Annual Brainerd Jaycees Ice Fishing Extravaganza officials were was formally issued an event permit on Thursday, January 17, 2008, by the Crow Wing County Sherriff's Department. Sgt. Scott Goddard met with the Brainerd Jaycees on Gull Lake's Hole in the Day Bay Thursday to verify the ice conditions. "We found 17 inches of good clear ice and with the forecast we're convinced the conditions are perfectly safe to hold this event." The Extravaganza will be held as scheduled on Saturday, January 26, 2008 from 12:00-3:00 p.m.

Each year this event is held on Gull Lake located seven miles north of Brainerd, MN. The volunteer-run Extravaganza draws over 10,000 anglers annually who compete for over $150,000 in prizes. There are 150 prizes ranging from a new Ford 4x4 to a Glastron Fish and Ski Boat to a number of gift cards and ice fishing accessories. All of the proceeds raised at the three-hour event are donated to area non-profit organizations with Confidence Learning Center- an outdoor camp for persons with developmental disabilities (campconfidence.com) - being the primary recipient of the funds.

It takes three days to set-up the event site which becomes the second largest city in Crow Wing County one Saturday each January. There are approximately 20,000 holes pre-drilled for the anglers to choose from. Each year additions and improvements are made to continue to promote this long-running event. This year some of the new items include web-enabled phone access so anglers and spectators alike can track the prize list and event progress; webcam images that will showcase the event in real time; a Youth On-Ice Olympics competition from 9:30-11:00am; and a prize distribution center set-up at Baxter's Mills Fleet Farm. Official and complete updates can be found at www.icefishing.org

The Brainerd Jaycees are a community and leadership development organization for men and women ages 18-40. Founded in 1939 they have grown to nearly 200 members in the Brainerd Lakes are. Collectively, the members donate over 20,000 people-hours and $250,000 to area charities and causes. For more information on the Brainerd Jaycees visit www.brainerdjaycees.com

Thanks
    Anyone fish this contest? Win any good prizes?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog EyEs View Post
    Anyone fish this contest? Win any good prizes?
    My MFL fishing partner from last year fished it. They got blanked on the fish, but won a $100 Fleet Farm gift card in the raffle. He told me the guy that won it pulled a 5+ lb'er from almost 60 feet of water. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but that was info from him.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Johnson View Post
    My MFL fishing partner from last year fished it. They got blanked on the fish, but won a $100 Fleet Farm gift card in the raffle. He told me the guy that won it pulled a 5+ lb'er from almost 60 feet of water. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but that was info from him.
    that's what I heard....star and trib from sunday had the results....too lazy to provide...

5+ walley gator in 60ft, got the truck...... (.6 lb) perch got the glastron rig in 100th place.....

Thanks
    www.icefishing.org/

Here's the link.

I was there with 3 others and we got blanked. The guy that caught the 1.66 Tulibee was about 4 holes away from me and I seen a couple of smaller Eye's coming out near by. We were fishing in 58FOW, we marked fish before the contest but no luck during. The Winning fish I am certain did come from about 60FOW. He was fishing on the other side of the road from us and I know that it is at least that deep over there.

Thanks
    So there are a zillion holes out there and it's a big scamper to get to the "best" holes? I've never been to one of these and can't imagine 10,000 people on the ice. I was just checking the link (thanks) and I really want a 4 wheeler for a couple ounce perch. I mean

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EBass View Post
    So there are a zillion holes out there and it's a big scamper to get to the "best" holes? I've never been to one of these and can't imagine 10,000 people on the ice. I was just checking the link (thanks) and I really want a 4 wheeler for a couple ounce perch. I mean
    They usually try to drill around 12,000 holes. You can get out there early and save a couple hole to fish out of. We were out there at about 7:30am, and some other people that we knew were out there at 5:30am. The way they give out the prizes is a pretty good deal, you don't have to catch the biggest fish to win something big.

Thanks
    I went with a group of five others and we didn't catch a single fish. We were set up in about 42 feet of water on the northern border. This was the first year where the electronics didn't work for us at all - too much interference! It's amazing how much you rely on them... especially in that deep of water. It wasn't too long into the contest when our efforts shifted from trying to catch the winner to just enjoying the afternoon with a few choice beverages. It was a beautiful day and a fun weekend.
    Good Fishing,
    loebs